Friday, September 13, 2002
...the community owns itself
Truer words were never spoken. Clay Shirky, a major influence on Blogging Network, describes five key points for traditional broadcasters in Broadcast Institutions, Community Values:
- Audiences are built. Communities grow.
- Communities face a tradeoff between size and focus.
- Participation matters more than quality.
- You may own the software, but the community owns itself.
- The community will want to build. Help it, or at least let it.